Masi Matongo: I'm ready to play!
Masi Matongo is enjoying the form of his career so far! The talented youngster was trusted to feature in a well fought battle against St George Illawarra Dragons and held his own against some NRL Giants! More recently Masi scored his first try for the black and whites resulting in Rugby League fans across the nation tipping Matongo to be a Super League star of the future and I couldn't agree more! Masi is somewhat of an inspiration to our readers at Grassroots level, and I was keen to catch up with him to discuss his recent purple patch plus more! Here's what he had to say to GRM!
1. Twelve months ago you were on the fringes of the first team, how have things changed?
" I always knew it would be hard to get into the team so just worked hard in pre season and did everything I could to show radders that I’m ready to play"
2. What was it like playing out in Australia against NRL opposition?
"It was just good to get some game time against NRL opposition and I’m glad that I was able to match up to some of the best players in the world"
3. What was it like scoring your first Super League try & will you be swan-diving again any time soon!?
"It was an amazing feeling which I thought may never come but thanks to Danny houghton it did, and I’ll just have to wait and see if any more tries come my way! HA!
4.Did you score many tries in the Reserve Grade?
"No not really! I'm not really know for my try scoring!"
5. You have an incredible grassroots story, but are there other youngster in Hull FC's roster who you think are certain Super League Stars of the future?
"I think Jez Litten and Jordan Lane are definitely going to be super league stars, and Cameron Scott is one to watch for the future!"
6. What is your long term goal?
"Just to take it step by step and become a first team regular week in week out"
Thanks for taking the time out to speak to GRM Masi! All the best with the rest of your season!
Written by Shawn Boatin